Blog's Owner

My photo
Starting on the journey of becoming twenty-something. A psychology student who is interested in photography, design, and advertising. Find pleasure in art, food, music, and good books. I like to play badminton and I support Arsenal Football Club. I wish for a world where everyone is free to love.

Freerice

Rice up against hunger

Blog Archive

Sunday 10 March 2019

A Whirlwind Ride

Wow, it's a bit ironic that for the whole 2018 year, I've only posted twice. A year-end recap (like the one I'm writing now) and two others about my first real heartbreak. Good news tho, my heart is perfectly alright now.

Right now I'm trying to start recalling what happened throughout the year, and man... a lot has happened. So let's goooooo:

January -  Jay Chou's concert has got to be the highlight of this month. During this time, I was still on my part-time internship and the concert made my whole weekend. Although I can't remember exactly what the feeling's like, I was certainly happy that night. Oh, and btw I spend the New Year's Eve eating bake cheese cake, cycling around NTU, and giving resume advice to a friend's younger sister.

February - ICN show was around this month if I'm not wrong... and there, I chanced upon someone I know from many years ago and hadn't met since. Over the next months after that, I proceeded to go out with the person, know each other more, grow closer, fall in love, break my heart, and finally today, we are again good together. Let's hope it gets even better in the future.

March - My birthday was nothing special last year and I was honestly more occupied with the pressure of completing my FYP on time (it wasn't really progressing well). What's more, us students were also already starting to intensely apply for jobs. The kind of jobs I was applying for naturally requires well-crafted cover letters so I really spent much time writing them. Truly a stressful period. The only bright note of the month was a memorable first date at the Marina Bay Carnival.

April - I promised my FYP supervisor to have a first draft ready by early this month and I swear the days before that was a living hell for me. Long story short, I fell sick (a weird kind of sick that usually happens when you're unhealthy and stressed) during that time. Usually when I notice that my body is unfit, I will take one full day to rest and recover, which works well in general. However this time, I can't even take a few hours of break because I was already struggling to meet the deadline. So, all I can do was bear with it and took whatever medicine I feel would help. Two or three days before submission, I finally got better (not much) and quickly finished it up, sent it over for review. Again a reminder to myself not to procrastinate and assume that I'll have all the time in the world. Unpredictable things happen.

Fast forward to mid-April, things finally fallen to pieces and after some revisions, I submitted the FYP final version to the office. A friend of mine was there too and we're so ecstatic, amazed that this project came to an end. Like finally. We took photos and selfies and I posted one of those shameless selfies to Instagram, just because. The days after this were soooo peaceful (except I still kept applying for jobs) since exam wouldn't come until end of the month. Also, I had only one exam that semester.

--------- note: I started writing this post in the first week of 2019, sat down for a couple of hour and somehow abandoned it till now. Maybe the April entry was t0o tiring even to write lol ---------

Okay right now (10 March) I'm quite nervous about completing this because to be honest, I'm a forgetful person. But well, shall give it a try!

April - The story hasn't ended yet (yup, many things happened). this time they're good stuffs tho! first, exactly one day before my exam, I got a job offer that I'd been really hoping to get. Imagine how stunned and yet happy I felt when the company HR called me in the middle of crazy exam preparation. and thennnnn another happy thing happened in the end of the month :D

May -  My graduation trip should be around this month. I went to Taiwan with a bunch of friends from my hometown. Right now it's hard to recall details but I believe overall it was a nice trip, the only downside was that I gained some weight from that trip alone (random note: I really like Taiwan).

June - Officially out of NTU! Graduating students can no longer extend stay in the hall and I moved out together with 5 friends. We chose Dover area as it is quite in the middle of MRT green line and everyone wouldn't have to travel very far to work. Living on our own was a big deal to me. Before this, I couldn't imagine maintaining a house (hall life was different because we own only a room and the rest is shared). But I find the whole thing enjoyable. Our neighborhood is 15 mins walks from MRT and located near a school, giving it a peaceful vibe. Also, at the nearby blocks there are 2 food courts, bakery, ATMs, supermarket, clinics, and even hair salon. Basically all those daily needs are very accessible from my place. Even better, I can take a direct bus from home to work (which is amazing because I can always get a seat and get to enjoy the view along the way).

July - Started working on the 2nd, but actually work came on the 3rd because the first day was for orientation training. There were 7 newcomers that month, which is quite a big crowd. To this day, we are quite close with each other and I'm so glad to have known them :D while of course in the next few months I've grown close with others, these 7 people always feel like "buddies" who share my journey in the company. On a side note, my broken hearted period began this month.

August - Something to share is that my company has a probation period of 3 months (and there are some real cases people fail it), so we're expected to deliver good work. Luckily, things have been going really well for me and huge part of it is thanks to my mentor. Newcomers like me are paired with someone senior in the team, who will guide and check on us during this period. I can say many good things about my mentor but I don't want to make this too long, so let's just say I'm grateful for her. Oh and my convocation was on this month too. The event itself is more tiring (dressing up, putting on make-up, sitting for a long time) than exciting, but my family came to Singapore and I got to spend some time with them after work.

September and October - Hmmm I don't think anything special happened these months. Work life's great and I started to know more people. At some point of time, I joined a bunch of them and played badminton together at least once a week before work. Actually the badminton is still going on every week, but more often I'm too tired to wake up early haha. Another good news, I passed my probation!

November - Throughout the past months, I felt that everything is fine except that I'm sad (let's not get into details as the details are already in the previous post lol). But in November, my friend and I were beginning to get closer again. For the sake of confirming this, we've just scrolled through our chat history and realized our tone was so different between early November and end of that month. Yayyyss.

December - I've been working for almost 6 months and it's time for holiday! I went on a trip to Thailand with my family. Besides staying in Bangkok for two days (mostly filled with sitting in a cafe while my mom and sister were shopping), we went to this place called Khao Yai. It's a more rural area and tbh it was refreshing to see cute animals, visit pretty garden with lots of flowers, and enjoy good food at cheap prices. After the trip, I came back to Singapore just right in time for the New Year's Eve. My friend and I went to the Marina Bay area and for the first time in our years staying in Singapore, finally caught the fireworks show. The show itself was amazing, but another notable thing is that we managed to wait for almost 5 hours, just talking to each other.

And yupppp here I am finally finishing this long due post. Last year is truly one of the most memorable years in my life (or is it just because I tend to forget things hmmmm) (but no I don't think so). So many things happened and I'm glad they turned out well in the end. I remember back in 2017, I was already anticipating that 2018 would have much going on. But even then I didn't expect it to be like this haha.

As it is already March now, actually there are more things I'd like to share and write about. Stuffs about work life, how my relationship is progressing, and how I'm trying to find balance between the important things in life. Another random update: I'm eating more than usual recently (heavy dinners) and thus feeling quite unfit, so starting this Monday, I am going to keep a healthier diet and exercise a lil bit everyday. Also, since I started working, I find that there is not much time to do random random stuffs that I used to do every now and then. That's why those hours after I got home from work are important. I'll try to put them into good use and cut on checking every social media installed in my phone.

Alright I guess I'm wrapping this up real soon. Let's hope 2019 will be a fruitful year for us all, stay happy and healthy everyone!! I really don't know who are the people reading my blog but if you're like me, still in school or recently starting to work, remember to rest well and I hope you have the energy to do whatever you want to do. Time to end the post, here are some memorable photos I took in 2018:

Sunrise at Alishan, Taiwan

Sunflower field at Khao Yai, Thailand
Firework show finale at Marina Bay, Singapore

p.s. I am preparing a new website and hope to finish it real soon. While the current one is more on daily life stories, the new one will be more on the random stuffs I make. Wait for it ok!

No comments: